Sunday, January 16, 2011

A DOG NAMED EAST



This is my contribution to The Flying Moleskins and Adebanji Alade's moleskine. The Flying Moleskins has been an exciting journey and of all the books, Adebanji's theme of homelessness scared me the most. I knew I wanted to paint someone with a pet (what else could I possibly paint).

I, like some of my fellow F.M. artists previously explained, had to get out of my comfort zone and look at our homeless population with different eyes. It was not until 3 days after Christmas, driving back home, did I find what I wanted for my contribution to Adebanji's book. In Longview, TX, we discovered this young couple on the side of a gas station on a horribly wet, cold, gray day. She had beautiful bright pink hair and the most wonderful patchwork long skirt. He stayed busy lettering his sign and for awhile their dog stood stoic and tall, a watchdog on duty. On cue, he jumped in her lap and demanded kisses, which of course she supplied over and over. After awhile they took off on foot, walking North, not East, by this time they had put a large oversized coat on the dog so that he would stay somewhat dry and warm. Despite their circumstances, it was obvious they love their dog!

11 comments:

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Getting out of our comfort zone certainly made for a beautiful painting...

Autumn Leaves said...

I find I just wish I could help them. A beautiful painting, Angela.

Ann Rogers said...

Always love your paintings and your stories that accompany them as well. Hope to see your finished moleskin when you get it back, should be soon, right?

carol morgan carmichael said...

So much emotion evoked in this piece. The subdued colors add to the feel. Very nice.

hmuxo said...

Amazing post Angela! Beautiful painting....

Linda Popple said...

You did a great job in capturing a touching story in a minute of time. Well done, Angela!!

martinealison said...

J'ai du mal à retirer mon regard de votre toile... Elle me touche beaucoup. J'ai un respect extrême pour ces pauvres gens. En peignant cette toile vous leur avez rendu une certaine dignité.
Ces sans abris ont au plus profond d'eux un coeur si généreux. Leur détresse est si présente qu'ils ont appris à cacher leurs émotions. Seuls leurs animaux les maintiennent encore en vie parmi le rang des humains.
J'ai mal de les voir, je me sens si impuissante à un tel dénuement.
Bisous

Dana Cooper said...

You are right that this is an uncomfortable subject but you did a wonderful job on this piece Angela...and of course you had to have a dog, I know Adebanji will love it!

Dewberry Fine Art said...

What a great story and painting to illustrate it.

Rosemary said...

Touching story - beautiful painting and I love the title!

Pattie Wall said...

Yes, it's difficult to imagine traveling with an animal in these times but I am always glad to know they didn't neglect them and abandon them in their hard times. A member of the family unit! You captured a special moment in time. Very nice!