Saturday, July 31, 2010

DUFFY


11x14 sold

I don't know a lot about Duffy, but I do know Duffy has a very important job. Duffy goes to work everyday with his owner, offering snaggletooth smiles and hugs to the customers...at least that's what he gave me when I visited their incredible antique store this past Christmas in Opelousas, LA.

This was my first Pomeranian to paint, there sure is a lot of hair on such an itty bitty dog, and not just long hair, but very, very thick hair. Anyway, there had to be a perfect balance of showing Duffy with not too much hair and not too little hair, all the while showing the depth of his coat. My brother deserves a great big thanks for taking new pictures for me (when I met Duffy he was a young pup), thanks Shane!! This portrait is going out in the mail this week so Duffy and his Mom can enjoy it together!

Thank you all for your comments and encouraging e-mails. I have more pet portraits to share with you, it was a very busy summer with lots of pets on my easel. I would love to take a break and do a little plein air painting, but painting outside is impossible in 100+ temps. I hope wherever you are the weather is a little cooler and you are enjoying your summer. Take care!

15 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Gosh, but your pet portraits are exquisite, Angela! Duffy is one gorgeous Pom!

Ann Rogers said...

Such an expressive face, and oh, those eyes. Know his mom will be thrilled to receive this masterpiece!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I just love Duffy Angela!!! I once got my son a pom puppy and had to bathe it before Justin got home from school...the little pup floated!!! I always think about that and giggle when I see a pom!!!
I think you captured a great Duffy!!!

ANASTASIA said...

beautiful dog, I love your drawings are finished .. kisses

Dana Cooper said...

You have mastered Duffy the Pom, just like you master all your pet portraits...you are amazing Angela!

Edward Burton said...

What a handsome fella. Great portrait, Angela!

carol morgan carmichael said...

You are a master at capturing these beautiful animals. Love your stories too!

Dean H. said...

Wow! I love these pet portraits and the accompanying stories...very well painted and very heartfelt.

dominique eichi said...

I truly understand how you have so many commission of pets. You capture so well their personalities, add that to a beautiful style and it's a match made in heaven.

平衡 said...

it's so nice to appreciate your painting. Thank you for posting this!! looking forward to seeing more works from you!!!

L.Holm said...

Duffy is wonderful! You sure handled all that hair expertly--fluffy and soft, just the way it is on poms. You are really great at these portraits. The personalities come shining through.

Gwen Bell said...

I would imagine it would be very easy to get lost in all of that fur but you found the perfect balance and what a beautiful job! His cute little fox-like face with those sharp eyes and keen wit is so well painted!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Having just painted a Pom, I can see that you really 'got' Pomeranians! Wonderful expression, beautifully executed fur. You go, girl!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

What a little cutie - you are so good at capturing the 'essence' of the animal you are painting. Their personality just shines right out of the canvas!

Sandra Galda said...

had to visit this image, saw it on a sidebar! I love this type dog, have one too. Super job here!