Friday, August 6, 2010

DO-SI-DO for Edward Burton



This is for Edward Burton's moleskine of The Flying Moleskines and my response to his music theme. Until I read Edward's introduction in his book, I had no idea what I was going to paint for his music theme. When I read "people dancing", I knew immediately I would attempt this painting.

At my school, after studying Pioneer times, 2nd grade has a day where they celebrate the Pioneer life of long ago. The children are dressed in period costumes and have fun experiencing Pioneer times. One of our grandmothers dresses the part and tells "stories" of her travels West. After her stories, she plays her autoharp and the children dance. This is Jules dancing with one of our parent volunteers. I don't have favorite students, instead I have a whole school (250 students) of favorites. Jules is special, she loves art and I love her!

I posted this video not too long ago, here it is again, you can see a real quick shot of Jules drinking milk in the dining hall and then later eating a sandwich. As sad I as I am for my summer vacation to end, after watching this video again, I cannot wait to see my students!

8 comments:

Ann Rogers said...

I'm sure Edward will be more than pleased with his do-si-do painting. Thanks for sharing the video, I can see why you love the school, and they are lucky to have you on their team!

L.Holm said...

It's perfect! I can really feel the music, and the fun and spirit come shining through in the painting. That's a terrific video. What a great school!

Dana Cooper said...

You are certainly a part of what makes your school great, your love for the students shines through this painting...well done!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

A wonderful, lyrical piece. Such happiness in the dancing!
What a wonderful school!!!

Edward Burton said...

This is such a fantastic piece, Angela. And after watching the video of your wonderful school, I am honored to have it - thank you.

Autumn Leaves said...

I love your enthusiasm for life, Angela. It just shines through in your words and in your art. I'd have to say that Ed is one lucky moleskin owner as this is fabulous! I remember going to Pioneer Farm with my oldest daughter's kindergarten class. What a cool thing that was!

Dean H. said...

Love this one, Angela! I commented on the Flying Moleskins blog.
I enjoyed seeing the school and Jules.
Very inspiring. Edward will be dancing with joy over this one.

Lindsay said...

I love this one! Beautiful!